Friday, October 19, 2007

Birth of a Victorious Spirit

"We are not born all at once, but by bits. The body first, and the spirit later; and the birth and growth of the spirit, in those who are attentive to their own inner life, are slow and exceedingly painful. Our mothers are racked with the pains of our physical birth; we ourselves suffer the longer pains of our spiritual growth." -- Mary Antin

I think Mary Antin very wise in her conclusion about our spiritual birth and growth. It is slow and exceedingly painful... lasts a lifetime! It is also richly rewarding to be maturing into our destined potential in this mortal life! So often I've attempted to avoid the pain… guess what happens? It only gets worse! If it is time for birthing… it is time for birthing! I had 4 sons and all varied in their arrival time. They also differ in their sprouting upward to tower over me! None of it can be avoided. Hesitation only gathers the velocity to which it will ultimately happen. This is why some grow steady forward… and some seemingly stagnate suddenly get thrown forward like a sling shot! And all say, " WOW" Have they ever changed!!!

You can outdistance that which is running after you, but not what is running inside you. - Rwandan saying

Do you remember having growing pains in your legs as a child? I sure did! I would wake up crying in pain and my Mom would try to soothe them. It wasn’t fun… but I did manage to grow up to be a soaring 5’5-½”!!! With all the childhood sufferings of growing up my Mom would say “ You have to suffer to be beautiful!"

Well point is… all life’s happenings especially the difficult ones bring true growing pains to our spirit. The pains demand we seek understanding and wisdom to relieve the pain as we stretch up to our maturity! We hold so much within our soul and most times no one has a clue what strain we are going through. I cannot tell you how many times I was told. “ You look so great!” Yet I was steeped in sheer agony of soul and feeling very alone! No one saw that. I never let anyone know. ' Alone' makes it harder to be birthed in our spirit because it bars us from accepting benefits of wisdom from others. Growth comes easier with encouragement and loving care! I hadn't known I deserved that. Sometimes I still forget!

"If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all." - Michelangelo

You are a masterpiece! You may be hurting, but take heart! That pain is developing in you gifts, wisdom and precious abilities that you need… that this world needs from you! Don’t fight it. Embrace it! Seek the balm of kindred friends who will empower you with the truth they see in you and you in them! Perhaps if Michelangelo had friends like that… he wouldn’t have had such a hard time ?!?!?!? His mastery may have been even more celebrated!!!

Ultimately, we have just one moral duty: to reclaim large areas of peace in ourselves, more and more peace, and to reflect it towards others. And the more peace there is in us, the more peace there will be in our troubled world. Etty Hillesum

And we know how desperately this world need more peace! I need it and I know you need it too! Sometimes it just takes us a bit of time to realize how much more is available to us. Life is not about being victims to life’s pain. It is about gathering wisdom, understanding, courage, thanks and loving relationships to become Victors in spite of that pain! You were born with potential. If you have forgotten… reclaim what is yours. Be of courage and fulfill your purpose… it is undoubtedly connected to another’s moral duty also!

With love Lion~*

Be the one you were Divinely designed to be. Accept what come to you because you are amazing.You can do it...we can... we truly can!!!

2 comments:

Maithri said...

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!!

We truly can!

Thank you for lifting me up.

For inspiring me, dear friend,

May you be victorious,

Love, Maithri

Lion~* said...

On the contrary ((((Maithri)))) It was you who gave the inspiration for this one!

Love Lion~*